Friday, March 1, 2013

A Little Bit of Everything


This last week has been just a potpourri of different fish and places. From the Long Beach Break Wall, to the clear waters of Diamond Valley and even a local pond. It all started with a very cold early morning boat ride to the Wall to see if some checkerboards would want to play. We got on the water at 5 am and started to knocking around on the outside but nobody was answering. The Santa Ana winds started to pick up so we moved inside to get and out of the wind. I was hoping to find a few sandies on the inside. We didn't find any Sandies but a few frisky Calicos decided to make our day a bit more interesting. After a about 8 or 9 fish to hand and the wind becoming more and more annoying we decided to call it a day.

I decided to give the Calicos a break and go pester the the carp again. I get to the pond early to see if sneak up close to some tailing fish but nothing was up yet. As I look at the pond it seams to be even dirtier than normal. It was like trying to find a fish in a barrel of chocolate milk. It was hard enough to see the fish butvery fish I saw was spooked by another fish closer to me. I felt like I need a gilly suit just to sneak up on some fish, it was ridiculous. I decided to sit and wait for the fish to come to me. So I sat and waited. Then waited a bit more and wished that I had a beer to help my fishing mojo. After about a thirty minute wait a single fish wandered into my casting lane. I was so proud of myself for out smarting the carp but then I reliezed that it was just a fish and that I haven't even hooked it yet. 


So I made my cast but I was a a couple of feet short. As I get ready to pull in my fly the fish turns towards my fly and I was stoked. But the fish decided to take its sweet ass time. I have seen snails move faster than this carp. After what felt like a hour he got to my fly and did his duty in eating my fly. After a good tug of war this beautiful guy came in for a kiss. He would have been pretty enough to kiss if I had a beer or two. After a photo I let the carp go into the chocolate milk and went home in good spirits.


 After a few days of job hunting and fly tying I get the urge to go get some green backs. So I called up my friend Jason aka "Big Sexy" and hit up DVL. The fish liked what Big Sexy had to offer. I, on the other hand, could not even get the fish to give me the time of day. After an early morning of nothing I started to moving around and do some metering. I found school of suspended fish off a saddle point. Yes, my searching has paid off this time. We make about ten casts each and the wham. Jason was bent with what I believe to be a striper until it went airborne. Its a big ass trout.  After a surprisingly good fight she came to hand and we realized she was well over 20 inches. We fished hard for the rest of the day and had only one more fish to hand for all of our hard work. Only two fish were landed and both were by Jason. All I caught was an old fish rod. Oh well, fun time were had by all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment