Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Carping in the OC


I know it has been a little while since my last post but I finally got my act together. And while I was getting my act together I decided that I would go bother the local carp for a morning. 
When I got to the pond there was a just enough wind to make it hard to see any fish. Still I decided to take a walk around for kicks. As I walked I noticed that I was not the only one that liked to fish this place. I keep walking and trying to spot fish but no luck. Then clouds parted and the wind died. I looked down to see a fish working just 20 feet away. At that moment I knew the Lucky Charms I had that morning were starting to kick in.

I make my cast and land the my marabou blood midge right on target. I could just see his tail working left to right. Looking for my fly and then....... Nothing. I got the cold shoulder. I don't like getting the colder shoulder. So I made another perfect cast and here he comes again. I feel something on the end of my line. Yes. I give a good strip and feel the line get even heavier. As I lift my rod and yell "yesss". As my rod get higher the fish comes unbuttoned and I end up with spaghetti all over. But he didn't get away clean, I got a scale.
 I stewed for a little bit while I waited for the fish to come back for seconds. As I sit there look over the water I see a golden tail come out of the water as if to say hello. And I decided to say hello in my own way, with an evil grin on my face. This time instead of leading the fish I would put my fly right on top of his head. My fly hits the water and WHAM. My line goes flying, the reel starts singing and my knuckles get a hammering. Man it hurt but it hurt so good. After a bit of coaxing and some sweet talk this beautiful creature came to my hands. All 8 pounds of him or her. After a couple of pics I get him up right and with a good push he swims off into the murky water. I ended up landing another 6 pound carp before my morning session was done. Not a bad way to spend a couple of hours in my opinion.
Good times


No comments:

Post a Comment